Time to Analyze Your Home Energy Use ...
With an easy to follow checklist that helps you examine how you use energy at home.
Here is a simple quiz you can take to analyze your energy usage.
- Do you regularly maintain and service your heating and cooling system? That is, do you clean or replace filters regularly, according to manufacturer's instructions, and do you conduct an annual system tune-up?
- In summer, do you keep your air-conditioner thermostat set at 78 degrees Fahrenheit?
- In winter, do you keep your furnace thermostat set at 68 degrees Fahrenheit?
- Have you sealed windows with and exterior doors with weather stripping, and/or have you used caulk around windows and exterior doors to block out drafts?
- On hot summer days, do you block out the heat by closing drapes and blinds?
- In winter, do you open the drapes to allow natural daylight in to light and heat your home?
- Do you wash your laundry in cold water?
- Do you use water saving showerheads in your bathrooms?
- Do you only dry full loads in the clothes dryer?
- Do you only wash full loads in the dishwasher?
- Do you turn off lights, televisions, and computers when not using them?
- Do you use compact fluorescent lights in your home?
- Do you unplug appliances that are rarely used?
If you answered yes to at least 10 questions, then you're doing a really good job. Congratulations!
Online home energy check up tool
The Alliance to Save Energy, which has been promoting energy efficiency for decades, provides an online tool for assessing your energy use. It's not super intuitive to use, as tools go. But it can provide you with some ideas as to how you can improve energy efficiency.
The tool is here at http://ase.org/content/article/detail/971